According to the science of yoga and the larger realm of Eastern medicine, our bodies are composed of energy centers called 'Chakras'. These vortices flow through and around the body, each with its own color and unique substance. Constantly dancing in light and complex patterns throughout the body, chakras interact with and influence our moods, thinking patterns and our general wellbeing.There are 7 major chakras as well as the 8th chakra that oversees them all and like the air that we breath, they are invisible, yet vital to our daily living.
Here are the individual chakras, in brief;
- 1. The first chakra is located at the base of the spine and represents your will to live and physical vitality. Its color is red.
- 2. The second chakra governs your emotions, creativity, sex and reproductive organs. It sits just above the pubic bone and its color is orange.
- 3. The third chakra is located at the solar plexus, its color is yellow and it controls digestion and the processing of emotions.
- 4. The fourth chakra lives in the center of the chest, known as the heart center, it is green in color and represents kindness, compassion and true love.
- 5. The fifth chakra sits at the throat, blue in color...it represents personal power and the impact of communication.
- The sixth chakra is located at the center of the forehead, known as the third eye and relates to mental concepts and intuition. Its color is indigo.
- The seventh chakra sits at the crown of the head, is violet-white in color and represents the integration of personality with spirituality.
- The eighth chakra, also called the aura, is the luminous energy protecting the other chakras and as well as the entire body. Aura changes color depending on thoughts, mood as well as physical health, in fact, there are many people who claim to be able to "see" aura! It is also a belief that aura normally extends about a meter in every direction and that holistic practices such as yoga and meditation can greatly improve clarity and brightness of auras!